Saturday, March 31, 2012

Response to Paul Vance's "Support Group"


“Support Group” is about Jules, a man with many issues, talking to a support group about all of the awful things he has done, specifically all the awkward times of masturbation. At the end he explains that he would like to receive help and help other people himself, but then decided he has to leave to run “errands.”
I am not sure that I have read an entire story of dialogue from one person. I had to read it twice to realize how funny and fluid the story line is. Most of the dialogue is very believable and makes the audience realize that Jules should really be in this suport group. Although the instances of masturbation are wrong enough, he also mentions he has many problems, letting the audience know that he is likely an untrustworthy narrator. I enjoy this aspect of Jules because you never know when he is going to stop and let someone else talk. He is so concerned about his awfulness that he knows he needs help, but refuses to accept, a true sign of someone in distress. When he continues to tell the group that he is sorry about saying all these things, it gives him a more sympathetic aspect that made me feel like I should care about this person, but then the end came and he didn’t really change at all. I would have liked to see more of a change in Jules, but the ending needs to stay, just possibly have a longer length of time where he really thinks he can change himself. 
Overall I don’t think you should change too much, just emphasize more of a change and you will have a more complete story.

No comments:

Post a Comment