Monday, March 19, 2012

Response to Cole Stuart's "Status Quo"


Status Quo was essentially a narrative revolving around a student who was not entirey sure oh how to think about his life. The overall story was a bit confusing in the sense that I was not sure what the main character wanted, but I also thought that the narrator was confused with himself as to what he wanted. The ending threw me off a bit too, as I am not sure what the act of smoking weed does to the story, unless you are using it to explain how unsure the narrator is about things and is just trying everything he can. I saw a bit of character change toward the ending when he explains that he had total silence, but other than that I think you can emphasize more change over the entire piece. Your descriptions of detention and how they smoked the joint in the car for the first time were vivid and to the point, but I don’t know if you need to include these longer descriptions about these situations when you really want to focus on how the three guys in detention are changing the narrator and the narrator is confused on multiple levels.
When you mention how the narrator wears cloths just to get comments from his friends that also implies his uncertainness in the story. The uncertainness was my favorite part of the piece, but you need to play with it more to have more developed character change and show me how, by the uncertainness of him doing things, that he changes for better or for worse and then go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment