Thursday, March 8, 2012

Response to David Foster Wallace's "Incarnations of Burned Children"


      “Incarnations of Burned Children” was a very odd written short story. It seemed to be describing a situation in which a fathers child was in an awful accident of spilling steaming water on himself. The voice of the story seems extremely sad and pessimistic, and because it is written in long sentences and in a train of thought point of view, the reader can really tell it is trying to be sad. I am not sure how I feel about not having any dialogue, but it might also be hard to put dialogue in this scenario. It is very short and to the point, but I’m not a fan of the long sentences and no paragraph breaks. I do like the vivid descriptions scattered throughout, although some of them are rather unfortunate and disgusting. I thought the point of the story was for the reader to realize how awful of a situation this and how helpless the father seems when trying to save his child. I had issues with the writing style overall, I think if it would have been written with more paragraph breaks and possibly some dialogue and a little back story, I could figure out what was going on and fell more emotion from that. My favorite aspect of this story was how Wallace accomplished the reality of the theme. I really felt sad for these people, and if I can incorporate this kind of emotion in my stories I think everything I write could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment