“A Flicker in the Night” is a simple short story about the narrators mother and how she would put her daughter to bed. Some of the things I enjoyed about the story are the simply descriptions and easy plowing word usage. The descriptions of the vanilla and lavender perfume reminds me of an older women and the tenderness and love of a mother. The TV in this story plays the role of sort of a peace maker, as when the narrator listens to the TV, it helps her ease her mind or help her sleep. I think you can work more of the family influence in and explain why the story is all about her being put to sleep. Also, I want to know why the you turned the TV on at the end and why it helps her sleep. You did a great job at using descriptions to explain how the mother reacts to the daughter, such as the description of of laying her hand on the daughters face. I think if you can include more back story on why the mother means so much to the daughter, you would give more validity to the descriptions and this would also explain why the mother is the main focus.
No comments:
Post a Comment