I strapped on my pants. Cargos, full of love and wither. The girl laying in bed snored too loud and was inconsistent with her hair style. She slept in an awkward jumble that reminded me of a cat, she was fuzzy like one too.
“Your toothbrush is on the sink." All I heard was a growl. "Under the knob. Toothpaste is around there too."
“Are you leaving?”
“I work, so yes. Leaving. I’ll see you around.”
“Hold on. Jenson, no kiss?”
“Brush your teeth, I’ll call you sometime."
I waved at her head leaning off my bed. Those curls still reminded me of a cat. Before I left, I checked the weather channel. A man named Prince was on waving at Arizona. I turned the channel to sports and a man named Jeff was calling me stupid. I turned the t.v. off.
“Jenson, it’s noon, where the hell you been?”
“Stuck in the parking lot boss. You know that place gets stuffy, everyone drives a bus down there.”
“I don’t know what you mean.”
“But you do, and I’m here now. I’ll get back on the Howard case.”
“Slow down speedy, what do you mean?”
“It was a bad joke. I was hinting at your mode of transportation.”
“My van? It’s an Odyssey, there built to last Jenson. Consumer Report says 12 years till it’s junk, and it fits a crowd.”
“Good. I’ll go pull those files now.”
The office I worked in was wide, much like an empty floor of an office building, but with a few desks and cabinets to organize client information in. I work for a lawyer, but he’s somewhat of a constipated perfectionist whose days end with a harsh cocktail.
“Wait, before you go...” he cleared his throat, pushing the nonsense to his lips. “Find me a table made of oak, a dark shade if you don’t mind.”
The only other object in the office was a t.v mounted in the corner toward the ceiling.
“One oak table, and where will we place it?”
“Under the television. Now, get to it. We have clients you know.”
My job description has changed over the years from assistant to carpenter. A dark-oak table to fill the space.
Playing in the corner were two adults of a professional manner, laughing and throwing hand signals in the air.
“By this time tomorrow, the DOW will be down 6 percent...”
“Microsoft hit an all-time high, up 9 percent from yesterday afternoon...”
Those men are comical.
“Jenson, tell them to shut up. I’m reading a document.”
“I’ll need the remote, sir.”
The boss looked up with mystery.
“O, well then the table can wait. No need for something those fellows can put their coffee on then. My mistake.”
I returned home that night to the television. The cat was watching Snookey wear a revealing outfit with her butt hanging out.
I smiled at her and walked to my bed.
Your descriptions of what's on Tv are perfectly matter-of-fact and real and funny -- love the end and the last lines of the first section.
ReplyDelete